The Communications Officer reports to the Head, Media and Content and works closely with the other Communication Officers at Headquarters and field. S/He will have extensive contact with a wide variety of external audiences ranging media personnel, public-at-large, diplomats, scholars, staff from other UN organisations in the context of disseminating information and gathering support for UNHCR's. activities
1) Serves as the focal point for a geographic region on all matters dealing with external and internal communications;
2) Participates in the development and implementation of a communication strategy that increases exposure of the office and mobilizes public and political, support to further the objectives of UNHCR in a rapid changing environment;
3) Supports regional and country communication teams to ensure the delivery of a coordinated message to key audiences taking into account global and operational strategies and policies;
4) Liaise with the bureaux and divisions on operational issues and key messages frameworks;
5) Packages and commissions information/stories submitted by field communication staff for dissemination on the web and other outlets;
6) Maintains a database of journalists and media organizations, drafts press releases, responds to media enquiries and builds dialogue with individual journalists;
>7) Contributes to planning of and arrangements of events, in particular with regard to design and production of materials;
8) Co-ordinate the production of internal and external UNHCR communications, publications and visibility materials in consultation with other relevant staff;
9) Performs other related duties as instructed by the supervisor.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:
- Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) preferably in Communications, Political Sciences, Public Information, International Relations plus minimum 6 years of previous work experience relevant to the function with a progressively responsible experience in communication, journalism, external relations, of which 2 years should be in an international capacity.
- Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master's) plus 5 years or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) plus 4 years of previous relevant work experience may also be accepted.
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral.
- Ability to draft and edit English texts for outside dissemination.
- Experience in dealing with the media, preparing key messages and interlocuting with external parties
- Must be highly organized with ability to prioritize assignments.
Proven multi-tasking skills.
- Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Ability to deal with the media, preparing key messages and interlocuting with external parties.
- Knowledge of additional UN languages.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR Communications Officer positions. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.