The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The Communications Unit of WFP Tanzania aims to enhance public awareness and understanding of WFP’s work in the country to both local and international audiences. It works to improve brand recognition trough both conventional and non-conventional avenues of communication to appeal to as wide an audience as possible.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Translate from English to Kiswahili and vice versa
- Assist with media events including photography, videography and logistics
- Produce content for print and social media, including Twitter and Facebook
- Scan local newspapers daily for coverage of relevance to WFP
- Track local and international news on issues of relevance
- Liaise with other UN communication officers for joint activities
- Respond to information requests from various sources
- Compile donor and other reports
- Assist with administrative tasks
- Assist with the dissemination of publications
- Travel up country as needed
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Masters degree in journalism, Political Science or Mass Communication. Bachelors degree in the same areas will be considered if the candidate has relevant work experience.
ONLY applicants currently enrolled in graduate school or have graduated from a BA or MA programme over the last 12 months can apply.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Work experience in journalism or public affairs will be an advantage.
- Proven experience in translation from English to Kiswahili and vice versa
- Experience in writing, editing and proofreading will be an advantage
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of social media trends.
- Proven writing and editing skills (report, creative writing, media) in English and Kiswahili.
- Photography and videography skills. Demonstrated working knowledge of Windows computer applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher).
- Knowledge of social and political situation in Tanzania and East African region. Ability to perform multiple tasks. Good interpersonal skills, team spirit and attentive to details.
Fluency in both oral and written English and Kiswahili
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
More Jobs From This Company
- Interns receive a monthly stipend from WFP.
- WFP is not responsible for living expenses, arrangements for accommodation and related costs
- Open to Tanzania citizens only.