BRAC is a development success story, born in Bangladesh and expanding into 10 other developing countries in Asia and Africa. It spreads anti-poverty solutions making it a global leader in providing opportunities for the world’s poor.
Was founded in Bangladesh in 1972 by Sir Fazle Hasan Abed, and is today one of the top leaders in developing cost-effective, evidence-based poverty innovations in extremely poor, fragile and post-disaster settings. BRAC started its first programme outside of Bangladesh in Afghanistan in 2002 through its Dutch registered Stichting BRAC International. BRAC International is currently reaching over 19 million people beyond Bangladesh and creating opportunities to break the cycle of poverty.
With a holistic approach that uses a wide array of interventions including microfinance, education, healthcare, legal services and more, BRAC invests in communities’ own human and material resources, catalyzing lasting change and creating an ecosystem in which the poor have the chance to seize control of their own lives. Of the world’s top development and humanitarian relief organisations, BRAC is one of the few based in the global south. In January 2018, BRAC was ranked as the number one NGO in the world for the fourth consecutive year by the Geneva-based NGO Advisor, an independent media organization committed to highlighting innovation, impact, and governance in the non-profit sector.
BRAC International is seeking application from competent, dynamic and self-motivated individuals to fill the following position:
Curriculum Specialist, Youth Empowerment
BRAC International operates in countries with the highest child marriage and teenage pregnancy rates. The goal of Youth Empowerment Programme is to empower girls by unlocking their potential through education, life-skills, and livelihood opportunities that enable them to fight unwanted social pressures and build healthier futures for themselves. Curriculum Specialist, Youth Empowerment will update and refine curriculum and training of delivery by facilitators for BRAC’s Empowerment and Livelihood for Adolescents (ELA) program in sub-Saharan Africa to increase youth engagement in the program. The job holder will report to Head of Youth Empowerment and will closely collaborate with Regional Advisor, Youth Empowerment.
Job responsibilities include but not limited to the following –
(1) Curriculum Development
- Conduct a systematic review of current ELA curriculum in use at BRAC International, gather stakeholder feedback and propose a project plan for developing and tweaking content
- Create a curriculum framework and learning methodology plan building on past successes
- Gather existing and open source curriculum for identification of potential partners in curriculum content sharing and delivery
- Write curriculum/lesson plans that connect activities and curriculum to learning frameworks and each domain of the BRAC Youth Empowerment Theory of Change while accounting for contextual adaptations
- Meet ongoing deadlines and deliver a revised curriculum on time
- Make substantial changes to the economic empowerment (livelihoods) content to meet current standards, match employment opportunities and have flexibility for differing pathways
- Identify pathways where formal education is required and include this in the economic empowerment curriculum framework
- Organize curriculum to be accessible and allow for ease of version control
- Institutionalize logistical needs such as collecting individuals data, responses to surveys, etc in the curriculum
- Coordinate with designers (internal) on the curriculum layout
2) Quality of Delivery
- Assist in refining the mentors selection process and work in partnership with the Program Managers on assessment of candidates
- Evaluate and refine the mentors orientation and refresher trainings in line with curriculum content and desired outcomes for the project; refine as needed based on feedback
- Provide training to key project staff in pedagogy and content to build capacity for delivery of future mentor trainings
- Prepare a plan for elevating skilled mentors to training positions
- Utilize technology (smartphones) by referencing or creating videos for training purposes and sharing curriculum online
- Provide orientation trainings for mentors
(3) Curriculum Evaluation
- Evaluate curriculum in real time and refine
- Utilize technology (smartphones) in evaluation
- Analyze and report on evaluation and propose follow up refinements
- Create a plan for consistent review and revisions of final curriculum product
- Engage partners in curriculum content, delivery or evaluation where possible
- Observe curriculum delivery and trainings throughout the project to identify challenges and partners with staff and supervisors to create solutions
- Support end of project review by collaborating with a consultant on provision of materials
- Travel required for assessments, delivery of trainings, evaluation and observations of content.
- Regular reporting on outcomes or synopsis of progress in internal meetings or events (could be written or oral presentation)
- Produce a final report of curriculum updates including timeline and content
- Contribute to grant reporting with updates on the progress of curriculum and training revisions; provide material for end of project review with consultant, as requested
Bachelor’s in education, Social Science or relevant discipline.
- Knowledge of pedagogy, active learning methodologies, and learning frameworks
- Demonstrated expertise in writing and evaluating curriculum
- Demonstrated experience in soliciting feedback from stakeholders to inform projects
- Ability to design a system for curriculum review
- Ability to work with virtual teams
- Ability to create and deliver training
- Ability to analyze technical solutions using hardware and software that is accessible in low bandwidth environment and for non-digital natives
- Excellent communication skills and attention to detail; excellent communication in English
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and to work under pressure; flexibility
- Proven track record in delivering quality results and managing deadlines
- 5 to 7 years’ experience in youth programming, education or related field
- Experience writing curriculum for youth; preferably including economic empowerment and livelihoods content
- Experience evaluating curriculum content and completing curriculum revisions based on evaluation
- Experience in working in a multicultural environment
- Teaching experience and experience developing lesson plans and/or curriculum frameworks with focus on participatory methodology
- Experience and knowledge of development issues in sub-Saharan Africa
- Practical and extensive experience in developing life skills training material, apprenticeship and entrepreneurship.
Employment type: Contractual
Job Location: Preferably either of the countries in East or West Africa where BRAC operates
How to Apply
If you feel you are the right match for the above-mentioned position, please follow the application instructions accordingly:
More Jobs From This Company
External candidates need to email their CV with a letter of interest mentioning educational grades, years of experience, current and expected salary at firstname.lastname@example.org
Internal candidates need to apply with their latest CV including all job assignments in detail with BRAC PIN and email to email@example.com
Please mention the name of the position and AD# BI 12/19 in the subject bar.
Only complete applications will be accepted and shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline: 22 April 2019
BRAC is committed to safeguarding children, young people and adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share the same commitment. We believe every stakeholder and every member of the communities we work with has the right to be protected from all forms of harm, abuse, neglect, harassment, and exploitation – regardless of age, race, religion, and gender, status as an individual with a disability or ethnic origin. Therefore, our recruitment policy and procedure include extensive background checks and disclosure of criminal records in order to ensure safeguarding to the fullest extent.
BRAC is an equal opportunities employer.