Reports to: CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER
Ubongo is building brains and building change for families across Africa through fun edutainment on accessible technologies. We’re a social enterprise founded and based in Dar es Salaam, and we broadcast our shows Akili and Me and Ubongo Kids across the continent.
We’re looking for a Monitoring & Evaluation Officer to establish our monitoring, evaluation and learning efforts. This is a new position, and you will be our first full time M&E hire! Until now, our M&E performed by a combination of our internal team, external consultants, and research partners from academic institutions. We’re looking for someone to bring all of this work together, and putting together and implementing a long term monitoring, evaluation & learning strategy!
SOME OF YOUR FIRST CHALLENGES WILL BE:
- Bringing together all of our previous M&E work (including experimental studies, longitudinal research, surveys and reach data) for internal learning.
- Taking the lead (with support from senior management and research team) to develop 2-year organizational M&E strategy.
- Developing a repeatable approach to measuring learning, mindset and/or behavior change outcomes of co-produced edutainment content.
- Supporting external research partners (including University of Maryland, Sagaci Research and graduate student researchers) conducting research and assessments of Ubongo edutainment in various geographies across Africa.
- Creating a reporting framework for partners who use our content in their Programs.
- Leveraging lean data for continual monitoring in situations where we cannot afford to do in-depth studies.
- Travel as required to the different regions within the country.
YOUR KEY RESPONSIBILITIES WILL BE:
- Owning overall M&E strategy and coordinating implementation with both the Ubongo team and our research partners. You will be our first full-time hire in M&E, and will be working with the COO in growing your own team over time.
- As well as studying the data we have you will need to be able to create ways in which the data that needs to be studied can be gathered. So that means creating new data-gathering methodologies.
- Suggest to the team the most appropriate M&E software/tools that can be used.
- Ensuring that our products are rigorously tested, and that learnings from this testing are fed back into product development.
- Analyzing, summarizing and sharing results & learnings internally with our team and externally with partners, to ensure that everyone is up to date.
- Be able to produce reports in a timely manner and a way that is understandable as well as presents them to external parties where necessary.
- Keeping the Ubongo team up-to-date on best practices and relevant work in M&E, and making sure we stay on the cutting edge!
TO BE A MATCH, YOU’LL NEED TO BE:
- Ready and able to take on all the challenges listed above (and many more, down the line) as we scale! This probably means you’ll have a Bachelor’s or Master's’ degree in Monitoring and Evaluation, Social Sciences, Business Administration or International relations and/or development-related fields., with research experience. But we’re more interested in your experience and your ability to get the job done than your qualifications. Confident and knowledgeable in study design, data analysis and field implementation of research projects.
- A task juggler. There is a LOT going on at Ubongo, and you will need to be able to work across our projects and products to manage overall company M&E.
- Organized! We have a lot of data, studies and different project, and you will be in charge of keeping all of this data and reporting in order!
- Able to speak and work in English and Kiswahili - we’re a bilingual office.
- Strong communication and presentation skills including ability to write reports
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills, verbal skills and ability to communicate technical information clearly and effectively to both technical and non-technical persons
- Knowledge and experience of standard Monitoring and Evaluation procedures and tools like SPSS or STATA
- Good at dealing with ambiguity and able to figure things out for yourself.
- Willing to speak up for what’s right, when you see wrong, or when you think there might be a better way.
- Someone who loves kids. They’re why we do what we do. They’re running around our office all the time. Our kids’ music and videos will become part of your life (and constantly stuck in your head).
Phew! You made it through that. The good thing is that there are also perks, like delicious healthy lunch at the office, health insurance, and you get to watch cartoons at work.
More Jobs From This Company