Position: Innovation Hub Director (1)
Reports to: Executive committee
Work station: Ifakara, with frequent travel
Application deadline: Open until filled
Who we are?
Ifakara Innovation Hub intends to become over the next 3 years a vibrant community of inspiration, ideation and collaboration for solution development. This dynamic innovation space aims to expand the innovation ecosystem to rural Tanzania, looking realistically at the trade-offs between knowledge exploration i.e. research and exploitation of technological innovation (development and testing products) and establishing the innovation’s compatibility with existing social, economic and administrative systems. We intend to work through international, thematic partnerships located at the hub.
The Ifakara Innovation Hub is administratively hosted by the Ifakara Health Institute and functionally accountable to the Executive Committee.
The ideal Innovation Hub Director is someone who has the right mix of leadership, passion, experience, business savvy, entrepreneurial spirit, innovative nature, and the ability to be a visionary. S/he must have a proven track record, be able to develop lasting partnerships, understand the technology industry, and how to monitor key trends and pivot accordingly.
Working with the Executive Committee, the Innovation Hub Director will advance the vision and mission of Ifakara Innovation Hub and provide high-level strategic and tactical leadership. As the chief steward of the organization, s/he will develop strategic partnerships, ensure overall revenue and profit goals are achieved, drive impact, and motivate a high performance, innovative, and results-driven organization.
S/he must be comfortable working with global partners, investors, donors, and relevant stakeholders. It is also imperative that s/he is motivated by the organisation’s ability to connect people, support start-ups, and share knowledge— ultimately, leveraging all these attributes to support the growing innovation community.
Duties and Responsibilities
Leadership and Strategy
- Serve as a spokesperson on issues related to the Ifakara Innovation Hub,
- Business development for the Hub,
- Provide strong and innovative leadership in an open collaborative environment;
- Lead, in coexistence with the Executive Committee, the development and implementation of the short and long-term strategies,
- Create and refine the organisation’s vision, keeping in mind the strategy as well as current/future trends,
- Ensure effective internal controls and management information systems are in place,
- Set the tone and direction by communicating the strategy and vision of where the organization is headed,
- Provide avenues for full and open communication and collaboration with the community at large to promote an awareness of the diverse and changing needs of the community,
- Communicate effectively with investors, employees, and stakeholders,
- Ensure that the organisation maintains high standards of corporate citizenship and social responsibility wherever it does business.
- Identify, build and manage relationships with partners and stakeholders both locally and globally,
- To engage business, education/academic, industry and economic and community development partners to form a functional ecosystem for educational technology; growing and attracting talented entrepreneurs and innovators,
- To define and monitor partnership-specific Key Performance Indicators and milestones,
- Represent the Ifakara Innovation Hub on relevant platforms (e.g. events, conferences, media) towards existing and potential partners of the ecosystem,
- Creating and closing of new partnerships in the region and globally,
- Sourcing commercial opportunities with different stakeholders of the Ifakara Innovation Hub including corporates, investors, governments, NGOs, incubators/accelerators and startups,
- Strengthen our presence with business development activities on the ground, and developing relationships with the different stakeholders.
Executive Committee Engagement
- Acts as a liaison between the organisation and the Executive Committee,
- Keep the Executive Committee fully informed on the governance and condition of the Ifakara Innovation Hub and the influencing internal and external factors,
- Identify and address opportunities and challenges, bringing those which are necessary to the attention of the Executive Committee: inform the Executive Committee and stakeholders about the trends and activities to facilitate policy making,
- Liaise effectively so as to develop Executive Committee agendas and organize Executive Committee meetings and special meetings when appropriate.
Management and Administration
- Provide general oversight of all Ifakara Innovation Hub activities, and ensure a smoothly functioning and efficient organization,
- Build a strong brand through thought leadership and relationship management activities,
- Ensure awareness of all material undertakings and activities of the organisation and all internal and external factors affecting the organization,
- Assure organizational stability through development and implementation of standards and controls, systems and procedures, and regular evaluation,
- Assess the principal risks of the organisation and ensure that these risks are being monitored and managed,
- Lead by personal example and encourage all employees to conduct their activities in accordance with all applicable laws and the organisation’s standards and policies, including its environmental, safety, and health policies, and
- Assure a work environment that recruits, retains, and supports quality staff.
- Ensure that the organisation conducts its activities both lawfully and ethically.
Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field,
- Minimum of 3 years professional experience,
- Proven ability and experience of developing and managing partnerships,
- Experience of delivering innovation support programmes to startups/ SMEs,
- Commercial acumen and experience combined with business development experience (proposals, negotiation),
- Experience in working with an international community of diverse people and organizations.
Skills and Competencies
- Demonstrate critical competencies for the role: commitment to results, business savvy, leading change, and motivating,
- Knowledge and understanding of the context in Tanzania and Africa as it relates to innovation, start-ups, and the tech industry,
- Ability to channel and synthesize expectations and needs of multiple constituents, including users and developers,
- High level of comfort and passion for technology and a sense of the possibilities of community and collaboration,
- A highly regarded professional stature and credibility,
- Excellent leadership, negotiation, management, problem solving, and interpersonal skills,
- Possess maturity, high integrity, sound judgment, persistence, and humility,
- Excellent oral and written communication, social, and interpersonal skills in Kiswahili and English,
- Ability to solve problems, work under pressure, effectively make decisions, and address urgent matters,
- Experience with business development,
- Strategic, visionary, and innovative thinker, and
- Track record of building innovative, creative, and collaborative environments.
An attractive ajira and competitive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate. This will depend on experience and competition with similar organizations.
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating inclusive environment for everyone. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and the labour laws of Tanzania govern our recruitment process.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together with their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the address below.
All e-mail subject titles should read, “Innovation Hub Director.” Note:
- Candidates who previously applied do not need to apply again.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Mode of Application
More Jobs From This Company
Human Resources Manager,
Ifakara Health Institute,
Kiko Avenue, Mikocheni,
P.o. Box 78373,
Dar es Salaam