Leading the way in International Banking. With more than 86,000 employees in 68 countries and a 150-year history in some of the world’s most dynamic markets, Standard Chartered is listed on the London and Hong Kong Stock Exchanges as well as the Bombay and National Stock Exchanges in India. See our history
The roles and responsibilities
1) To provide geographic and governance stakeholders and committees with:
a)A single ajira point of contact in the country with respect to Group Internal Audit (GIA);
b)GIA’s view on significant risks within the country and an assessment as to whether these risks are being adequately managed and escalated if appropriate;
c)An overall assessment of the state of controls within the country;
2) Providing, oversight, guidance, and support to manage an effective Country Audit function that provides independent assurance to relevant stakeholders on the state of the Country control environment.
3) To provide GIA internal stakeholders with:
a) Country Audit Needs/ Risk Assessments to support the formulation of a detailed audit plan;
b)An assessment on the appropriateness of the audit plans from a geographic perspective. Contribute to the development of the overall GIA audit plan and approach, based on the inherent risks/ knowledge on the country concerned;
c)An anticipatory approach to risk assessment to GIA by highlighting issues through good stakeholder communication in order to improve audit planning;
4) To provide Regulators with:
a)A key point of contact within GIA in their country;
b)Proactive and reactive communications to regulators in their country;
5) To provide external auditors with:
a)A single point of contact within GIA in their country;
b)Proactive and reactive communications to external auditors in their country;
- Ensure early identification and escalation of risks, issues, trends, and developments to relevant stakeholders. Be prepared to raise issues/concerns outside the normal audit process;
- Adopt an anticipatory approach to risk assessment through stakeholder communication and monitoring of external environment to improve audit planning;
- Monitor the implementation/delivery of the agreed audit plan for the country/region as assigned; understanding the key audit issues arising and escalating any significant audit findings that remain unresolved;
- Attend country CORCs on a regular basis; Attend key Country governance meetings on a regular basis e.g. EXCO; Audit Committees
- Review country MIS regularly; Avoid surprises.
- Update country ANAs on a six monthly basis
- Develop an annual audit plan using input from the team and stakeholders to identify priorities and resource requirements for the year. Annual audit plan should cover all activities of the country, including any local subsidiaries, and regulatory audit requirements.
- Meet with other managers, business heads, CEO and Audit Committee members to discuss needs and propose audits, to build stakeholder requirements into department plans.
- Ensure plan is developed to meet the Group & Audit Committee’s expectations.
- Schedule and assign audits to team members, ensuring effective and efficient use of resources.
- Ensure quality control of the team’s audit plans on an ongoing basis by reviewing and approving plans as they are developed and communicated to stakeholders.
- Ensure annual audit plans have contingency built in, to provide unexpected audits as they may surface.
- Report to the Audit Committee at the required intervals on Internal Audit assignments including planned reviews, investigations, risk advisory work and any other ad-hoc activity as required.
Audit activity – Country Audit, Rules-Based Assurance & Control Effectiveness Reviews
- Oversee and provide quality control for the department’s audits, to ensure departmental mandate and business goals are met and that professional standards are maintained at all times.
- Ensure the timely execution of audit and assurance assignments to provide independent, objective assurance to the Audit Committee.
- Where appropriate ensure these plans are presented at CORC on a quarterly basis
- Develop the team’s engagement with and support of major business change programmes thus ensuring that appropriate consideration of risk and control is given to all change.
- Ensure GIA methodology is adhered to; initially the Country Audit and Assurance methodology and then the amalgamated
- Assurance and GIA methodology
- Ensure Country Audit activity is sufficient to meet the requirements/expectations of local Regulators
Issue Resolution and follow up
- Ensure issues raised are appropriately resolved in a timely manner
- Ensure appropriate follow up of issues and escalations where appropriate.
Reporting, Communication & Engagement
- Ensure final reports are issued with all recommendations agreed and accepted by the audited individual/group.
- Delivery of Country/ Area MIS in respect of the activity undertaken;
- Conduct / attend regular stakeholder meetings – CEOs, business heads, function heads, governance heads;
- Provide Audit Committees in the country with GIA reports as required;
- Provide Regional GIA management with regular value-added reports and updates, including country “hotspots” reports;
- Provide governance stakeholders with regular value-added reports and updates or as appropriate;
- Provide local regulators with audit reports and other information as appropriate(this may include localizing an audit report which has a larger geographical coverage);
People Management & Development
- Demonstrate strong leadership and is able to effectively manage Country Audit teams;
- Manage and oversee team performance through performance planning, coaching and performance appraisals.
- Hold direct reports accountable for managing and developing their assignments to ensure the department’s goals are achieved and customers satisfied.
- Provide ongoing feedback to the team to ensure they develop the skills and competencies required for effective planning and individual professional and personal career growth. Ensure Country audit staff are appropriately skilled and trained to undertake Country Audit and Assurance activity
- Motivate and inspire the team by providing them with the information and tools they need to do their jobs well and meet customer expectations.
- Deal with performance issues, discipline as necessary and address poor standards, ensuring department targets and customer satisfaction is not compromised.
- Manage the headcount, recruiting and deploying resources as required, to ensure the department budget is balanced and the right mix of skills and strengths are being leveraged as effectively as possible. Obtain regional approvals for all headcount hires, including replacements.
- Identify and recommend potential Guest Auditors; Proactively identify, attract and nurture potential talent for GIA;
Improving the Practice of Audits/Championing Risk Management
- Build relationships with leaders across the region/ Group to understand issues and identify areas for improvement for the organisation as a whole.
- Support and encourage team members to be proactive in identifying opportunities to share best practice to improve the control environment; make recommendations to Region/ Group.
- Provide assistance to the business in meeting regulatory requirements.
- Keep abreast of developments in Corporate Governance practices and advise the business accordingly.
Financial Management - Budgets/Costs
- Prepare & submit accurate and reasonable budgets; ensure timely submissions
- Effectively manage costs within agreed budget; Forecast accurately
Our Ideal Candidate
- Institute of Internal Auditors or equivalent finance qualification (ACCA, CPA, etc.) with Internal Audit experience
- Significant (5+ years) experience in Internal Audit roles, preferably in a bank and with external audit experience
- Is able to lead and manage people effectively; Strong team player able to work effectively with diverse client groups
- Is a strong communicator with an ability to gain the respect of their teams, peers and with senior management and business stakeholders;
- Is confident and courageous to raise concerns and issues with senior managers in a proactive and professional manner;
- Decisive; Influencing and negotiation ability
- Possesses the breadth of experience in either audit or governance or both; Strong planning and organisational skills
- Is self-directed and able to work with minimum supervision; escalating issues inappropriately and in a timely manner; Strong analytical and evaluation ability
- Is willing to travel for approximately 20% of the time, on an as needs basis.
- Is an ambassador for the SCB Brand internally & externally.
we are committed to building a culture that fosters a diverse and inclusive environment that's free from bias, where everyone can realize their full potential and make a positive contribution. this is just one of our values that are expressed in our brand promise- here for good.
More Jobs From This Company