The AML Senior Analyst has the responsibility to perform the organization’s anti money laundering (AML) and counter terrorist financing (CTF) operations and ensuring that M-PESA and any other qualifying service offered by the organization is/are compliant with provisions of the AML Act 2006
Key accountabilities and decision ownership
- Maintain detailed knowledge of current AML regulations, legislation requirements, as well as future developments within the AML scope. This should drive the change to existing procedures
- Implement adequate AML and CTF controls to ensure that all possible areas of AML & CTF concerns are covered.
- Prepare weekly/monthly/quarterly reports to internal stakeholders and management on the state of Compliance and follow through for resolution of the same.
- Ensure that AML procedures and process are in line with current regulatory and legislation requirements by carrying out bi-annual reviews
- Perform quarterly reviews of all AML controls to assess effectiveness; where there are deficiencies; recommend changes and follow-up the implementations of these changes within the agreed timelines.
- Carry out quarterly AML compliance reviews on M-PESA activities based on the signed off compliance methodology.
- Proactively identify gaps and ensure implementation of in AML projects to increase efficiency/effectiveness
- Follow-up of implementation of recommendation made by the Internal Audit & annual Vodafone AML audit team or any other regulatory audit.
- Report control weaknesses or lapses to senior management in a timely manner, recommend mitigation ajira controls or process changes and follow up implementation of agreed actions
- Maintain strong working relationship with internal stakeholders e.g. Financial services, Big Data & Business Analytics, Regional Sales & Operations, Corporate Security, Corporate Affairs, Customer Operations and relevant departments to ensure that compliance issues are regularly discussed and addressed
- In liaison with the MLRO, manage the performance of outsourced AML activities, define performance indicators, assign tasks, and define goals and objectives for them
Core competencies, knowledge and experience
- Knowledge and understanding of International Anti-money laundering efforts and agencies (e.g FATF).
- Knowledge in report writing.
- High level of computer literacy exceptionally conversant with Word and excel.
- Solid interpersonal, analytical skills and customer oriented approach.
- Strong communication skills, fluency in English and Kiswahili.
- Strong database skills, including working with advanced data sets, pivot tables, advanced database and statistical functions and methods.
- Excellent use of Excel and other analytical tools.
- Ability to quickly grasp and understand business unit specific AML risks, develop comprehensive user requirements, and provide recommendations for appropriate automated solutions to mitigate those risks
Must have technical/professional qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Professional qualification in Anti Money Laundering will be added advantage.
- At least three (3) years’ experience working as Analyst in AML space in financial or non-financial institutions.