Position Title: THIS Field Supervisors (multiple positions)
Reports to: THIS Survey Coordinator
Job Location: TBD
Employment Type: Full-time
Travel: Up to 80% in intervention districts outside of job location
About THIS 2022-2023:
The Tanzania HIV Impact Survey (THIS) is a national population-level HIV impact assessment (PHIA) conducted with support from the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) and technical assistance through the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and ICAP at Columbia University. THIS is being led by the Government of Tanzania (GoT) through Tanzania Commission for AIDS (TACAIDS) and Zanzibar AIDS Commission (ZAC), and the Ministries of Health (MoH) of Mainland and Zanzibar, National Bureau of Statistics (NBS), the Office of Chief Government Statistician (OCGS), and the President's Office Regional Administration and Local Government (PORALG). The survey will be implemented by NBS, OCGS, and ICAP in collaboration with local partners, including the National Institute of Medical Research (NIMR), the Zanzibar Institute of Health Research (ZAHRI), Public Health Laboratories, the National AIDS Control Program (NACP), and the Zanzibar Integrated HIV, Hepatitis, Tuberculosis, and Leprosy Program (ZIHHTLP).
Overall Job Function:
Reporting to the THIS Survey Coordinator, the THIS Field Supervisors will provide strategic survey implementation and monitoring support in the planning and implementation of the THIS in the regions. The Field Supervisors will build the capacity of the Survey Team Leaders and Interviewers. He or she will coordinate field work with local representatives/community members including securing permission from local community leaders for ajira data collection in selected clusters.
Specific Responsibilities and Duties:
- Oversee and review all aspects of fieldwork, including management of team leaders and field workers, on a daily basis.
- Ensure that field teams adhere to THIS protocol and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Maintain adequate and accurate participant records, as per the study protocol.
- Determine readiness for survey implementation in each enumeration area (EA) and complete pre-implementation steps.
- Ensure that all necessary equipment is available and working properly.
- Oversee transportation of field samples to the Satellite Laboratory and/or National Reference Lab.
- Assess ongoing performance of Field Team Leaders and Nurses/Interviewers and identify training needs.
- Perform EA and Household spot checks when and where needed.
- Plan the logistics for fieldwork data collection.
- Participate in community mobilization activities, including district launches and public gatherings.
- Verify and ensure data quality by performing completeness and consistency checks.
- Provide feedback to the supervisor and write weekly progress reports that include the number of completed households per EA.
- Perform any other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills:
- Required Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Statistics/Demography/Economics or related field from a reputable academic institution. Postgraduate degree will be an added advantage
- Required Technical Experience: Minimum 3-4 years of experience managing and implementing nationwide surveys.
- Required Managerial Experience: Minimum 1 years’ supervising a survey team.
- Demonstrated experience managing teams of people who are working in remote locations.
- Strong interpersonal, group facilitation and oral presentation skills.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and successfully manage multiple assignments concurrently.
- Ability to function independently with a strong focus on results.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills with close attention to detail.
- Ability to creatively solve problems and work collaboratively as part of a team.
- Knowledge of Tanzania context and cultures in urban and rural areas.
- Ability to communicate effectively (verbally and written).
- Advanced knowledge of relevant software packages and tablet applications not limited to Microsoft Office Suite, Windows 8, Skype, and internet search engines.
- Working knowledge of operational/programmatic rules and regulations for recipients of United States Government funding preferred
- Familiar with Tanzania context; fluency in Kiswahili required