1. KEY INFORMATION
Post: CFP Appropriate Horticulture Technology Officer
Location: Unguja or Pemba, Zanzibar – Tanzania
Hours: 7:00 – 17:00, Monday to Friday (variable)
Annual Salary: Confidential
Reporting: Zone Operations Manager
Application Deadline: Friday, Jan 21st, 2022 (24:00 EAT)
2. MISSION, VISION, VALUES
Mission: To overcome poverty and adapt to climate change by sharing knowledge, advancing sustainable livelihoods, and restoring the natural environment.
Vision: Zanzibar communities thrive in harmony with the natural world.
- Trust is essential to strong relationships, and relationships are the foundation of our work. We act with honor and integrity to preserve trust between all members of our community.
- Solidarity. Tuko pamoja – we are together. Everyone is equal and has a role to play in creating positive change. We believe in sharing our challenges and working as one.
- Impact. We believe that we can change the world through innovation in Zanzibar. We share our local lessons and stories widely to maximize our positive impact globally.
3. JOB SUMMARY
The Appropriate Horticulture Technology Officer will play a significant role in developing the ethical and climate-smart horticulture trade in Zanzibar by leading the procurement of cost-effective, appropriate horticulture technologies. They will work closely with field staff, farmers, and farmer groups to understand and meet the needs of stakeholders to improve horticultural production, processing, and value addition. Based full-time in Unguja Island, Zanzibar with travel to the Pemba Island, Zanzibar, the Appropriate Technology Officer will work alongside field officers and management team to implement a multi-year project funded by the European Union.
4. RESPONSIBILITIES AND KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
Key Performance Indicators
- Deliver physical resources and appropriate technologies to over 3,500 small-scale farmers per year (55% women, 50% youth).
- Oversee the evaluation, ajira selection, and procurement of over 45 water conservation units, 60 propagation units, 30 small mechanization units, 1,250 kilograms of diversified seed, and 125 tonnes of organic inputs for small scale farmers per year.
- Provide field training in proper application and maintenance of appropriate technologies and ensure achievement of world-class outcomes including increased productivity for 80% of small-scale farmer beneficiaries and increased value addition on local produce for 100% of small-scale farmer direct beneficiaries.
Job Responsibility # 1: Lead and supervise Viungo Project Appropriate Technology Programs
- Oversee procurement, installation, and operational establishment of two of 600 sq. ft. multiwall double-glazed solar dryers.
- Provide technical input to the development of two cooperative horticulture quality assurance and preservation facilities.
- Ensure achievement of world class outcomes including increased diversity of production for 90% of small scale farmer trainees and an average 50% increase in yields for farmers engaged in use of farm’s appropriate technology
- Conduct regular visits to farmer’s fields identify technical problems investigate causes advise effective solutions to farmers to assure crop quality and low crop damage and ensure increased crop production levels.
- Document and share case studies, success stories and field visit reports as and when required.
- Support Viungo Project M&E section in data collection and analysis through various tools that Viungo Project uses.
- Responsible for communicating effectively and advising CFP Executive Director providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Viungo Project and CFP issues to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Coordinate closely with CFP Executive Director for all issues related with Viungo Project and CFP management issues for final decision.
Job Responsibility # 2: Support and link project partners and community
- Facilitate good working relationship between government agencies, local government authorities (LGA), community-level stakeholder and target beneficiaries.
- Contribute to farmers’ access to seeds and other farm inputs, post-harvest processing and market linkage for small holders farmers.
- Collaborate with other staff and partners to ensure that farmer-owned and operated horticulture value addition organizations and enterprises created and accelerated.
Job Responsibility #3: Participate in the development of CFP
- Contribute to the development of CFP’s programme at local and national level
- Participate in proposals and concept papers writing in regard to opportunities for areas of expansion
- Act as an active member on various CFP task forces to further the development of CFP
- Participate in Project Quarterly, Semi-Annual and Annual participatory Viungo planning sessions
- Contribute to the organization through documentation of lessons learned and best practices.
- Develop a mechanism to ensure accountability and recognizing your own performance achievement indicators
- Develop a culture of continuous learning through performing something new always
- Broaden your understanding of CFP policies, Viungo project strategies and plans
- Consistently demonstrate CFP’s Core Values on the work you do.
Despite the fact that the job description is in place, there are many activities necessary within the project that are not covered or for which specific guidance and methodology are provided such as short notice of visiting or representing CFP in workshops. In that situation, the incumbent will need to use his/her own personnel skills and experiences in solving the situation
University degree or technical diploma in Agriculture /Horticulture with additional training in land management, conservation, community development, or related natural sciences considered an asset.
Experience and Technical Skills
- At least five (5) years professional experience in a similar role with a minimum (3) years’ experience working in the field.
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience working directly with small-scale farmers in the field
- Excellent mechanical and technical skills including direct experience operating horticulture production technologies and facilities.
- Budgeting and financial tracking experience.
- Engineering, project management, and enterprise development training and experience are assets.
- Strong skills in Excel, Word, and Powerpoint to report data and sharing reports
- Communication. Effectively explain complex concepts in simple, clear language and accurately interpret the ideas, information, and needs of others.
- Accountability. Holds self and others accountable for all decisions and interpersonal relationships while following through on commitments and focusing on those activities that have the greatest positive impact.
- Focuses on impact and results for the project partners and responds positively to critical feedback;
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational and Viungo project goals; is willing to learn from others; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibilities for team shortcomings;
- Innovation and creative problem-solving. Ability to develop new and better ideas or solutions that result in improvement of team performance or outcomes.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Swahili and must be able to communicate and coordinate effectively with project partners.
- Willing to work alone, with irregular hours and in a field setting.
The incumbent will be positioned in either Wete, Pemba or Mwana Kwerekwe, Jumba kla Kificho, Unguja, Zanzibar, Tanzania where project offices are located. Despite that, however, a considerable time (5 – 10%) will be used travelling outside working area for various purposes including representing the Project/CFP in various events
6. APPLICATION PROCESS
To apply, please send a cover letter and Curriculum Vitae (CV) outlining your experience as it relates to this job description to email@example.com with the subject heading ‘Appropriate Technology Officer’.
Community Forests Pemba is committed to diversity in our work environment and we encourage applications from both women and men, young and old, and persons living inside and outside of Zanzibar. This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. To learn more about our work please visit: