The Alliance of Bioversity International and the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) is looking for a qualified field assistant to support active projects related to the use modern breeding technologies to assist in bean varieties improvement. The use of genomic selection in plant science has been well-established. Specifically, advanced breeding techniques for selection of desirable plant traits for advancement. The Alliance is working to establish a breeding program to enhance breeding activities to create new bean varieties that are more resilient, productive, and nutritious.
The field assistant will provide advanced breeding techniques to promote breeding research activities.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
- Support in making bean crosses for different bean verities
- Assist in conducting and collecting necessary data for advanced breeding and seed multiplication at different locations
- Support in analyzing the data and report to supervisor on time
- Visiting fields regularly to monitor weeds, disease development, and insect growth.
- Collecting soil, tissue, and samples from fields for analysis.
- Assisting with research work and other project’s activities.
- Assist in field layout and mapping.
- Carry out any other duties that will be assigned to you by the supervisor
- Diploma in crop production, plant breeding or any other related areas of study
- At least one-year experience in breeding activities especially in beans and other related crops will be an added advantage
- Experience in data collection and entry, data management, quality assurance, and timely reporting
- High attention to detail and excellent analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills in English and Kiswahili
- Computer proficiency including MS Office (Word/ PowerPoint, advanced Excel skills
- Must be able to work independently with minimum supervision, but also participate as a team member in the accomplishment of duties
- Excellent interpersonal with advanced written and verbal communication skills in English language
- Strong ability to coordinate, prioritize and organize workload; take initiative and work under pressure.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks under pressure and meeting deadlines
- Ability to ajira work in a multicultural environment.
- Ability to maintain the highest level of integrity and standards of ethics, confidentiality, and professionalism.
- Commitment to Alliance of Bioversity International and CIAT’s mission and core values.
Terms of employment:
This is a nationally recruited position based in Arusha, Tanzania. The contract will be for one year period, subject to a probation period of three (3) months and is renewable depending on performance and availability of resources. The Alliance offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salaries and excellent benefits; we believe that the diversity of our staff contributes to excellence. The Alliance is an equal-opportunity employer and strives for staff diversity in gender.
Applicants are invited to visit https://www.bioversityinternational.org/jobs/ to get full details of the position and to submit their applications. Applications MUST include reference number Ref:102771- Field Assistant as the position applied for. Application and CV should be saved as one document using the candidate’s last name, first name for ease of sorting.