BRAC Tanzania Finance LTD (BTFL) is the largest Microfinance organization in Tanzania with a mission to responsibly provide a range of financial services to people at the bottom of the pyramid. We particularly focus on women living in poverty in rural and hard-to-reach areas to create self-employment opportunities, build financial resilience, and harness women’s entrepreneurial spirit by empowering them economically.
BTFL is part of BRAC International which is a leading non-profit organisation with a mission to empower people and communities in situations of poverty, illiteracy, disease, and social injustice. Founded in 1972, by Sir Fazle Hasan Abed, BRAC is the largest non-governmental development organisation in the world and is present in 15 countries across Asia and Africa today. BRAC designs proven, scalable solutions that equip people with the support and confidence they need to achieve their potential. BRAC’s institutional expertise on various programmes, including health, agriculture, microfinance, education, and youth empowerment, is touching the lives of over 100 million people in the Global South.
BRAC Tanzania Finance LTD is seeking applications from competent, dynamic, and self-motivated individual to fill up the following position.
Position (1): LEGAL MANAGER CUM COMPANY SECRETARY
Job Location: Country office, Dar es Salaam
- Filing annual returns of BRAC Tanzania at BRELA. Other documents which must be filed include the directors’ report and auditors’ report (unless the company is exempt), and financial statements, including details of the company’s assets and liabilities.
- Arranging meetings of the directors and the shareholders. This responsibility will involve the issue of proper notices of meetings, preparation of agenda, circulation of relevant papers and taking and producing minutes to record the business transacted at the meetings and the decisions taken.
- Informing BRELA of any significant changes in the company’s structure or management, for example the appointment or resignation of directors. 4. Establishing and maintaining the company’s registered office as the address for any formal communications. Ensuring that all the company’s business stationery carries its ajira name, registered number, country of registration and registered address. These details must also appear on the company website, emails, order forms and invoices.
- Ensuring the security of the company’s legal documents, including for example, the certificate of incorporation and memorandum and articles of association.
- Deciding on the company’s policy for the filing and retention of documents.
- Advising directors on their duties and ensuring that they comply with corporate legislation and the articles of association of the company.
- To provide legal advice and assistance to the Management and staff of BRAC Tanzania.
- To monitor, review and promote BRAC Tanzania compliance to government rules and of various regulatory agencies.
- To coordinate and oversee legal related activities across field offices in the country and, within delegated authority, to represent BRAC Tanzania in legal litigations in courts and quasi-judicial bodies.
- From time to time, and as the need arises, to undertake staff trainings on Labour and other laws relevant to BRAC operations.
- Participate, from time to time, in reviews and amendments of various BRAC Policies and Procedures.
- Preparation of progress and annual legal affairs reports; and
Other functions as will be determined from time to time by the Management as the case may be.
- Ensure the safety of team members from any harm, abuse, neglect, harassment, and exploitation to achieve the programme’s goals on safeguarding implementation. Act as a key source of support, guidance, and expertise on safeguarding for establishing a safe working environment.
- Practice, promote and endorse the issues of safeguarding policy among team members and ensure the implementation of safeguarding standards in every course of action.
- Follow the safeguarding reporting procedure in case any reportable incident takes place, encourage others to do so.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in Laws, (master’s degree is added advantage);
- Registered as Advocate.
- At least seven (7) years of experience in legal practice
- Four (4) years in a senior position
- Knowledge of Industrial Relation
- Negotiation skills
- Knowledge on Company Secretary Roles and Responsibilities.
- Analytical skills: Ability to assess legal problems and quickly, through multidisciplinary approach, develop realistic solutions.
- Demonstrated record on Mediation and Arbitration.
- Planning skills including ability to work accurately and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated mature sense of judgment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills including excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Management of Diversity at workplace; and
- Computer literate with effectively use of basic applications such as MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
How to apply:
If you feel you are the right match for the above-mentioned position, please apply by sending your CV and cover letter through email to: email@example.com with a subject “Legal Manager cum Company secretary”. The application deadline is 16.06.2023.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
BRAC is committed to safeguarding children, young people, and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share the same commitment. We believe every stakeholder and every member of the communities we work with has the right to be protected from all forms of harm, abuse, neglect, harassment, and exploitation - regardless of age, race, religion, and gender, status as an individual with a disability or ethnic origin. Therefore, our recruitment process includes extensive reference and background checks, self-disclosure of prior issues regarding sexual or other misconduct and criminal records and our values are a part of our Performance Management System.
BRAC is an equal opportunities employer.