Position Title: Finance & Accounting Manager
Manager Position: Country Director
Direct Reporting Positions: Accounts Assistant
Position Location: Shinyanga, Tanzania (with regular travel to the project areas)
Lifewater International (Lifewater) is a Christian water development organization dedicated to effectively serving children and families by partnering with underserved communities to overcome water poverty. Motivated by our faith in Jesus Christ, we serve vulnerable populations as a demonstration of God’s gracious love for all people. Lifewater serves all people, regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, or gender.
Essential Job Duties/Scope of Work:
This position is necessary to ensure that the Tanzania Programs can deliver the required level of budgeting, internal control and reporting to country office, Lifewater headquarters and pertinent local government stakeholders. The Finance & Accounting Manager will work closely with the Country Director to ensure that programs budgeting, reporting, and all other requirements are met within a timely manner and provide detail and rigorous analysis of financial matters to HQ. Also, will ensure close coordination with field accountants and program managers to ensure quality of budgetary information at the time of proposal development as well as monthly and quarterly reviews. The Finance & Accounting Manager will oversee proper stock management, fulfilment of property and personnel insurances, and action on feedback from HQ and external audit of all programs under Lifewater International Tanzania.
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the timeliness and accuracy of the financial information being provided for each of the cost centers within Tanzania.
- Review, analyze, and approve financial information prepared by field accountants.
- Ensure that monthly close process is happening in a timely manner.
- Submit Monthly Financial Packet for each cost center to Finance & Accounting Manager (HQ) by 10<sup>th</sup> of the month or sooner if possible.
- Provide first level of support to each field accountant.
- Coordinate internal and external audits for the different sites and prepare books of accounts.
- Directly liaison with HQ for cash flow, process improvements, financial statements, etc.
- Lead in onboarding of new field accountants.
- Perform regular site visits to visit ajira field accountants for ongoing training and capacity building.
- Ensure timely and correct payment of taxes, salaries, and staff benefits.
- Provide all relevant financial data to country office management team on a monthly basis.
- Work with program offices and LI finance unit to ensure that accurate reports are in place in order to enable a thorough understanding of the current position and support forward planning and decision making. These will include activity versus budget line reporting system by project, a country budget and funding gap analysis by project.
- Work with HQ finance unit to ensure that direct activity and administration costs are accurate and expenditures are in line with the agreed project budget.
- Ensure that all budgets are utilized according to the approved project document.
- Provide acknowledgment receipts for wires from LI HQ to country account.
- Assist project managers and program accountants in compiling data for financial planning and reporting.
- Support fixed assets documentation, inventory and reporting.
- University Degree in any of the following fields: Bachelor of Commerce (BCom), BA in accounting, BBA from recognized school; relevant training in Excel and accounting software (ACCA/CPA/QuickBooks preferred).
- Minimum of 4 years in an NGO, preferably with an international NGO.
- Excellent practical knowledge of financial accounting and of report development.
- Experience with data analysis and commenting on variances between actual and budgeted expenditures.
- Excellent understanding of the reporting requirements of senior managers plus ability to convey financial concepts to non-financial staff.
- Experience in managing staff health insurance schemes, PAYE, NSSF, GPA, provident fund.
- Demonstrated experience managing master budgets with many different funding streams.
- Knowledge of office management processes.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Strong ICT skills especially Microsoft Office applications.
More Jobs From This Company
- Must be able to support Lifewater’s mission, vision, and core values; able to cope with cross-cultural and denominational diversities.
- An energetic, flexible and proactive approach with the ability to work both independently and cooperatively within a team setting.
- Well organized and efficient in time management whenever there is task pressure.
- Strong teamwork skills and ability to develop and maintain effective working relations at all levels both within and outside the team.
- Punctual, honest, dependable, servant leader, trustworthy, encourager, peacekeeper, multi-tasker, and self-starter.
- Zero tolerance of corruption (all forms of interest conflicts, bribes, fraud, all kinds of corruptions, etc. are not acceptable).