Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Assistant Environment Officer will work closely with colleagues responsible for water and sanitation, shelter, nutrition, education, health, community services and livelihoods. The incumbent will support the UNHCR Office on all issues related to environment, self-reliance and shelter/infrastructures and will make sure that UNHCR policies are in line with global and national strategies.
Regular and frequent discussions between the incumbent and his/her supervisor(s), including at headquarters, are necessary to ensure that the latest best practices and procedures are shared and applied consistently on issues related to environment. The incumbent will undertake missions to the camps and liaise with (Sub-)Offices on the implementation of environment, self-reliance and shelters/site planning programmes. In addition, the staff member will maintain regular contact with UN technical agencies, and implementing and operational partners as needed.
The incumbent should be capable of working with minimum supervision in project submissions, revisions and reallocations throughout the project lifecycle in the environmental programme. S/he will be instrumental in contributing to the development of specific inputs related to the sector and must meet reporting requirements.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory ajira
framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- In collaboration with the relevant stakeholders, support the office in undertaking regular assessments on environmental conditions in refugee-hosting areas and measure the extent those conditions are affected by the presence of refugee camps; collect and update data on main areas of environment, energy, livelihood and shelters and identify means to mitigate the impact on natural resources.
- Undertake an assessment of the current domestic energy situation in the refugee camps together with the concerned persons.
- On the basis of the assessment, and in consultation with relevant stakeholders, identify effective interventions in the sector of energy both from the demand and supply sides.
- Act as focal point and liaison officer for all matters related to environmental activities amongst different sectors within UNHCR and outside.
- Assist in the management of UNHCR's assistance programmes in the form of project submissions, revision and reallocations in the environment sector throughout the project lifecycle, needs assessment, budgeting, monitoring, implementation and evaluation.
- Assist the UNHCR Office in organizing training activities of UNHCR and its implementing partners to address key areas of environmental management, climate change and domestic energy issues to refugees and other persons of concern.
- Document best practices/lessons for dissemination and implementation in the areas of natural resource management, forestry, sustainable agriculture, domestic energy and environmental education sectors.
- Provide technical support in developing project proposals and implementation arrangements to address environmental rehabilitation needs within the framework of UNHCR policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Provide technical input on reports related to environmental issues.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P1/NOA - 1 year relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or no experience with Graduate degree; or no experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Environmental Studies Management of Natural Resources, Agriculture, Forestry
or other related fields.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Minimum 1-year experience in environmental assessment, planning, monitoring, and evaluation of integrated environmental programmes/projects in displacement and stable situations. Awareness of and practical experience with refugee-related environmental problems. Familiarity with emerging environmentally sustainable and appropriate technologies, and renewable energy.
Familiarity with community-based and participatory approaches.
Budgeting, planning experience, ability to work with various (relevant) computer software.
SP-Environmental Assessment/Planning/Monitoring/Evaluation of integrated projects/programs
SP-Emerging environmentally sustainable and appropriate technologies, and renewable energy
SP-Environment - Experience in displacement and stable situations
MS-Drafting, Documentation, Data Presentation
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Qualified females and candidates with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
In case of difficulties with application process please contact email: email@example.com