The Belgian development agency, Enabel, mobilises its resources and its expertise to eliminate poverty in the world. Enabel contributes to the efforts of the international community and works towards a society that provides present and future generations with sufficient resources to build a sustainable and fair world.
Its staff members in Brussels and overseas embody the commitment of the Belgian State and other development partners to international solidarity.
Enabel currently supports more than 200 cooperation projects and programmes in 18 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. In the future, ENabel’s efforts will focus on 14 partner countries as a result of a decision made by the Minister of Development Cooperation.
In view of the further development of its activities Enabel is currently looking for a (m/f):
[[National Technical Advisor, Kigoma Region-Tanzania]]
More Jobs From This Company
The Water and Sanitation Kigoma Region Project (WASKIRP) is a project focusing on water supply services sustainability in rural areas. In rural Tanzania and Kigoma region many water supply systems are malfunctioning or out of order due to weak management, ageing infrastructures and lack of Operation and Maintenance (O&M) throughout time. As a consequence, a large part of the population is suffering from inadequate and intermittent water supply. For these reasons WASKIRP will be supporting the establishment of Community Owned Water Supply Organizations (COWSO) as well as improving existing infrastructures with a view of sustaining the water supply service in the long run. The project is aligned with national policies and strategies, contributing directly to the implementation of Tanzania Water & Sanitation Development Plan 2007-2020 (WSDP).
The National Technical Advisor reports to the Project Manager.
Your tasks and responsibilities:
- You support design processes for upcoming water supply projects and in reviewing technical documents;
- You advise on the basis of your technical expertise in learning and capitalisation, in order to achieve performance in accordance with national norms and standards;
- You organise all site visits, linking up with communities and district-level stakeholders;
- You participate in missions and community engagements, preparing action points for the attention of the implementation unit;
- You facilitate participation of all stakeholders in identifying construction sites of water supply structures and in selection of technologies;
- You ensure the quality of all works under the program;
- You ensure the projects’ compliance to environmental protocols;
- You work and facilitate effective catchment protection measures with Lake Tanganyika Basin Water Board;
- You take a ajira leading role in building the capacity development of community-based water supply organizations;
- You support a Junior Expert and Rural Water and Sanitation Agency (RUWASA) in assessing technical capacity gaps of Community-Based Water Supply Organizations (CBWSOs);
- You facilitate and coordinate all activities relating to Environmental and Social Impact Assessment for Kakonko and Kidyama projects;You support Lake Tanganyika Basin Water Board to establish Water User Associations for Nyete in Kigoma rural district, Kivuruga in Buhigwe, Mkugwa in Kibondo;
- You support the Basin to carry out capacity strengthening activities for Mkuti in Uvinza and Mtunguruzi in Kakonko;
- You facilitate demarcations in the project to protection water supply structures like intakes, storage tanks and similar structures in Mkongoro, Mwayaya, Kasulu, Kakonko;
- You prepare quarterly budgets for technical activities of the program;
- You participate in evaluation of tenders and contractors and contribute to the evaluation reporting.
Required qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in civil/water or in any other relevant engineering discipline, from a recognized academic institution;
- At least 10 years of experience in water supply and sanitation;
- A professional experience in a Non-Governmental Organization/bilateral agency is an asset.
Required skills and knowledge
- Good knowledge of aspects of international development (context, challenges, application, partners, functioning…);
- Ability to use new technologies used in the area of water supply and sanitation;
- Pro-active results-oriented project management ;
- Excellent management and organisational skills ;
- Excellent synthesis, writing and analytical skills;
- Good knowledge of standard ICT applications;
- Good interpersonal and leadership skills;
- You show respect and are able to build relations on the basis of credibility and expertise;
- You show engagement, sense of responsibility and integrity;
- You are fluent in spoken and written English and Swahili.
Applicants are also required to commit to the vision, mission and values of Enabel (https://www.enabel.be/content/enabel-vision-mission-values).
We offer you
An interesting job in an international environment.
- A contract of 16 months. You are based in Kigoma. Occasional missions to the site in the Kigoma region where we implement projects are possible.
- A salary package that comprises the monthly gross salary, in accordance with our salary scales (Class 5), hospitalization/healthcare insurance, 13th month, double holiday allowance and reallocation allowance..
Following this recruitment procedure a shortlist of successful applicants may be constituted which may be sourced in the next three years for similar job openings.
Every person who fulfils the conditions listed in our job advertisements may apply. Enabel is committed to equal opportunities and diversity in its workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of gender, origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability status.