The driver is responsible for driving Save the Children staff adhering to Driver responsibility, guidelines, performing routine maintenance, assist on logistics activities as assigned by line manager and always making sure the vehicle is clean and in good condition. It is essential that the driver at all times demonstrates reliability, punctuality and discipline while performing his/her duties, has good communication skills and the ability to work on her/his own initiative in a timely manner. Save the children expects all staff members to have a high degree of professionalism in the workplace and commitment to fulfilling the rights of children.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Procurement Officer (Buying)
Staff directly reporting to this post: Nil
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- To drive Save the Children passengers within Kasulu, Kigoma and the country as required, take proper care of assigned vehicles and the safety of the passengers at all times.
- Carry out routine vehicle maintenance checks on a daily basis to ensure proper upkeep of vehicles and immediately draw the attention of the line manager of any damage or fault on the vehicle.
- Carry out weekly maintenance checks on SC vehicles which includes: suspension, engine, gear box, alarm system, vehicle tools, battery, locks, brakes, clutch fluid levels, loose nuts and bolts on the vehicle, unexpected noises, fluid leaks under the vehicle and any damage to the body or interior parts.
- Alerting the Emergency Response Field Manager in time on the expiration dates of periodic servicing and maintenance of the vehicle in line with manufactures recommendations and SC transport policies and procedures.
- Maintain the cleanliness of SC vehicles at all times, both internally and externally.
- Drive in a safe and reasonable manner following the standard speed limits set by SC at all times and report an accident at the earliest opportunity.
- Complete the logbook on a daily basis as per the transport Management handbook.
- Responsible in making sure SC vehicles are refuelled on half tank basis and every month end the tank is full before commencing the next months log book.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the broader team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and take responsibility for their own personal development
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to; builds and maintains effective relationships with colleagues, managers, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity and different people’s perspectives, able to work cross-culturally.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
- Commitment to Save the Children values
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of certificate in driving related course or basic vehicle mechanics.
- At least three-year experience in the same or related position
- Valid Clean Class C Driving License
- Volunteering experience in an international NGO is an added advantage.
- Strong interpersonal and team skills.
- Experience in supply chain management in procurement, transport and distribution, warehouse and stock management.
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles.
- Available for the full four month period.
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s vision, mission and values including rights-based approaches
- Good communication in English.
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder ajira is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures;
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Safeguarding our Staff:
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
More Jobs From This Company