The Alliance of Bioversity International and the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) is looking for a qualified Laboratory Technician to support active projects related to the use of molecular biology technology to assist in bean variety improvement. The use of genomic selection in plant science has been well established. Specifically, segregation and selection of desirable plant traits for advancement. The Alliance is working to establish an active molecular biology laboratory to assist in creation of new bean varieties that are more resilient, productive, and nutritious. The laboratory technician will provide specialized laboratory and greenhouse research assistance to promote the breeding research activities. The incumbent will be required to proficiently handle standard laboratory and greenhouse procedures and maintain a safe work environment.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
- Receive, label, and analyze samples (plants, seeds, and plant tissues etc.)
Assist in process samples for laboratory tests/procedures according to standard operating procedures, checks for proper samples identification.
- Perform special processing procedure to specimens including DNA extractions.
- Support in recording all data and results in specified forms (paper and electronic) with accuracy and responsibility.
- Organize and store all chemicals substances, fluids, and compressed gases according to safety instructions.
- Assist in preparing solutions, reagents, equipment, apparatus, accessories and other supplies needed at the laboratory.
- Monitor reagents for expiration dates, preparation dates, inventory, and prepare as needed.
- Clean, sterilize, calibrate, and maintain equipment and apparatus used in all tests and analysis.
- Perform quality control and quality assurance tests and maintain quality control procedures in the laboratory.
- Ensure that all safety guidelines are always followed strictly and maintain a clean and orderly environment.
- Support in providing laboratory training to other personnel on proper laboratory methods, procedures, and techniques.
- Perform any other related duties as required
The candidate shall have the following competencies, skills and experience:
- BSc degree or higher diploma level in laboratory technology, biology, chemistry, biotechnology or relevant fields.
- Proven experience working as a molecular laboratory technician or relevant position for at least one year.
- Experience in applying modern laboratory procedures, methods and computer linked equipment.
- Experience in operating electrical and nonelectrical laboratory equipment and potentially dangerous substances (flammable liquids, infectious bacteria, biohazards etc.)
- In depth knowledge of preventative measures and laboratory best practices
- Working knowledge of MS Office (especially Excel) and database systems
- High attention to detail and excellent analytical skills.
- Must be able to work independently with minimum supervision, but also participate as a team member in accomplishment of duties.
- Excellent interpersonal with advanced written and verbal communication skills in English and Kiswahili language.
- Strong ability to co-ordinate, prioritize and organize workload; take initiative and work under pressure.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks under pressure and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to maintain the highest level of integrity and standards of ethics, confidentiality, and professionalism.
- Professional integrity and a high performing team player who can work autonomously, remains accountable and contributes to a positive and cohesive team environment.
- Commitment to Alliance of Bioversity International and CIAT’s mission and core values.
Terms of employment:
This is a nationally recruited position based in Arusha, Tanzania. The contract will be for one year period, subject to a probation period of three (3) months and is renewable depending on performance and availability of resources. The Alliance offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits; we believe that the diversity of our staff contributes to excellence. The Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and strives for staff diversity in gender.