1. KEY INFORMATION
Post: CFP Unguja Zone Permaculture Kitchen Garden Officer
Location: Mwana Kwerekwe, Unguja, Zanzibar – Tanzania
Hours: 7:00 – 17:00, Monday to Friday (variable)
Annual Salary: Confidential
Reporting: Unguja Zone Operations Manager
Application Deadline: Friday January 21st, 2022 (24:00 EAT)
2. MISSION, VISION, VALUES
Mission: To overcome poverty and adapt to climate change by sharing knowledge, advancing sustainable livelihoods, and restoring the natural environment.
Vision: Zanzibar communities thrive in harmony with the natural world.
- Trust is essential to strong relationships, and relationships are the foundation of our work. We act with honor and integrity to preserve trust between all members of our community.
- Solidarity. Tuko pamoja – we are together. Everyone is equal and has a role to play in creating positive change. We believe in sharing our challenges and working as one.
- Impact. We believe that we can change the world through innovation in Zanzibar. We share our local lessons and stories widely to maximize our positive impact globally.
3. JOB SUMMARY
The Permaculture Kitchen Garden Officer will work directly with women and women’s groups in the field to provide technical permaculture and agricultural training, supports and capacity improving skills, nutrition, and production. They will lead the implementation of agricultural activities to enhance food security, create improvement plans, and assist with home-business management. Based full-time on the main island of Unguja, Zanzibar, the Permaculture Kitchen Garden Officer will work closely with field staff and the management to implement a multi-year project funded by the European Union.
4. KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Deliver continuous in-field training to over 625 women per year on the establishment and management of nutrition-intensive permaculture kitchen gardens.
- Establish more than 60 model nutrition-intensive permaculture kitchen gardens per year with leading women gardeners.
- Ensure achievement of world-class outcomes including increased consumption of fresh vegetables, fruits, and/or poultry for 95% of women trainee households.
Job Responsibility # 1: Lead and supervise Viungo Project Horticulture Programs
- Work closely with relevant project field staff and target farmers to implement the horticulture-related project activities
- Conduct needs assessment survey for project beneficiaries within working areas.
- Conduct mobilization meetings with target farmers and promote sustainability through farmers’ participation and involvement in all kitchen garden-related activities.
- Conduct regular visits to farmer’s fields to identify technical problems investigate causes advise effective solutions to farmers to assure crop quality and low crop damage and ensure increased crop production levels.
- Facilitate experiments to develop new or improved varieties of field crops focusing on characteristics such as yield quality, pests disease resistance, nutritional value or adaptation to specific soils or climates.
- Document and share case studies, success stories and field visit reports as and when required.
- Support the M&E team in data collection and analysis through the various tools that Viungo Project uses including also participating in Project Beneficiaries Need Assessment, Baseline survey, Semi-annual and Annual Performance surveys and End line survey.
- Record data through the agreed electronic monitoring system
- Report and review activity charter on a quarterly basis
Job Responsibility # 2: Support and link project partners and community
- Facilitate good working relationship between local government authorities (LGA) community level stakeholder and target beneficiaries.
- Contribute to farmers’ access to seeds and other farm inputs, post harvest processing and market linkage for small holders farmers.
- Collaborate with others staff and partners to ensure that farmer-owned and operated horticulture value addition organizations and enterprises created and accelerated.
- Organize and facilitate beneficiaries learning visits in and outside project areas
Job Responsibility #3: Participate in the development of CFP
- Contribute to the development of CFP’s programme at local and national level
- Participate in proposals and concept papers writing in regard to opportunities for areas of expansion
- Act as an active member on various CFP task forces to further the development of CFP
- Participate in Project Quarterly, Semi Annual and Annual participatory Viungo planning sessions
- Contribute to the organization through documentation of lessons learned and best practices.
- Develop mechanism to ensure accountability and recognizing your own performance achievement indicators
- Develop a culture of continuous learning through performing something new always
- Broaden your understanding of CFP policies, Viungo project strategies and plans
- Consistently demonstrate CFP’s Core Values on the work you do.
Despite the fact that the job description is in place, there are many activities necessary within the project that are not covered or for which specific guidance and methodology are provided such as short notice of visiting or representing CFP in workshop. In that situation, the incumbent will need to use his/her own personnel skills and experiences in solving the situation
5. QUALIFICATIONS & ABILITIES
University degree or technical diploma in Agriculture /Horticulture with additional training in land management, conservation, community development, or related natural sciences considered an asset.
Experience and Technical Skills
- At least three (3) years professional experience in a similar role.
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience working directly with small-scale farmers
- Experience working to improve gender equality and women’s empowerment.
- Strong skills in Excel, Word, and Powerpoint to report data and sharing reports
- Communication. Effectively explain complex concepts in simple, clear language and accurately interpret the ideas, information, and needs of others.
- Accountability. Holds self and others accountable for all decisions and interpersonal relationships while following through on commitments and focusing on those activities that have the greatest positive impact.
- Focuses on impact and results for the project partners and responds positively to critical feedback;
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational and Viungo project goals; is willing to learn from others; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibilities for team shortcomings;
- Innovation and creative problem-solving. Ability to develop new and better ideas or solutions that result in improvement of team performance or outcomes.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Swahili and must be able to communicate and coordinate effectively with project partners.
- Willing to work alone, with irregular hours and in a field setting.
The incumbent will be positioned in Mwana Kwerekwe, Jumba kla Kificho – Unguja, Zanzibar Tanzania where the project office is located. Despite that, however, a considerable time ajira (2 – 5%) will be used travelling outside the working area for various purposes including representing the Project/CFP in various events
6. APPLICATION PROCESS
To apply, please send a cover letter and Curriculum Vitae (CV) outlining your experience as it relates to this job description to email@example.com with the subject heading ‘Unguja Permaculture Kitchen Garden Officer’.
Community Forests Pemba is committed to diversity in our work environment and we encourage applications from both women and men, young and old, and persons living inside and outside of Zanzibar. This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. To learn more about our work please visit: