TITLE: RMNCAH Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Americares Tanzania
REPORTS TO: Country Director
ASSIGNMENT TYPE: Full-time
LOCATION: Mwanza, Tanzania
LENGTH: Project is funded until June 30, 2023
Americares is a health-focused relief and development organization that saves lives and improves health for people affected by poverty or disaster. Each year, Americares reaches 85 countries on average, including the United States, with life-changing health programs, medicine, medical supplies, and emergency aid. Americares ajira is one of the world's leading non-profit providers of donated medicine and medical supplies. For more information, visit americares.org.
ABOUT AMERICARES OBSTETRIC FISTULA PROJECT:
In partnership with Bugando Medical Center (BMC) in Mwanza, Americares Obstetric Fistula Repair Project addresses the physical and psychosocial trauma of the childbirth injury through cost-free surgical repairs and pre-post operative care and counseling. The program’s multi-faceted approach includes provision of comprehensive treatment for fistula patients, including surgical care and rehabilitation, provision of life skill classes to support reintegration, increasing awareness in fistula identification and referral in surrounding lower-tier health facilities, and increasing demand for fistula care among communities. Since its start in 2010, the project has benefitted over 1,500 women and children and continues to be Americares longest-running project in Tanzania.
Americares is seeking a Reproductive, Maternal, Neonatal, Child, and Adolescent Health (RMNCAH) Specialist to lead the implementation of the fistula project at Bugando Medical Center (BMC). In collaboration with Americares Tanzania and HQ teams, the Specialist will work with BMC management to both coordinate the implementation of the existing fistula program and to roll out new quality improvement interventions that will assess and enhance the quality of fistula care and patient outcomes. In addition, the RMNCAH Specialist is expected to manage a mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS) consultant to strengthen the mental health aspects of fistula care, in partnership with BMC’s psychiatric facility.
In addition to the fistula project, the RMNCAH Specialist will play a critical role in supporting Americares Tanzania and the Americares HQ Programs team in identifying RMNCAH program opportunities and shaping Tanzania’s organizational strategy to improve women's and children's health.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- In collaboration with Americares HQ, develop quality of care (QOC) assessment tools and conduct baseline, midline, and endline assessments at BMC; this includes retrospective case record reviews
- Develop training/clinical mentoring plans and adapt training modules and supportive supervision tools to meet programmatic goals
- Provide technical assistance through supportive supervision and mentoring to providers to improve fistula prevention, screening, repair, and rehabilitation, in collaboration with Regional Health Management Team (RHMT) and Hospital Management Team
- Supervise MHPSS consultant in piloting integrated maternal and mental health interventions for fistula clients, e.g., delivering training and tools for improved counseling for fistula patients.
- Support and work through BMC’s Quality Improvement Team (QIT) and Work Improvement Team (WIT)
- Support Americares programs team in HQ in program development/design, workplan development, and reporting for the project.
- Ensure RMNCAH guidelines (including ones for obstetric fistula) and protocols, SOPs, and job aids are available and correctly used by BMC staff.
- In partnership with BMC, organize and implement a regional outreach fistula program.
- With Americares HQ, develop M&E framework and lead data collection/maintenance of project database for M&E reporting, including supervising data enumerators.
- Work closely with the Americares Tanzania Program Manager in identifying needs on access to medicine and supplies for partners.
- Facilitate/participate in regional cross-learning and sharing between RMNCAH technical staff across countries.
- Participate in relevant RMNCAH-related technical working groups, coordination bodies, and fistula-related meetings in Tanzania for learning best practices , sharing lessons learned from the project and advocacy
- Organize regular meetings with the QIT at BMC, and HQ staff on technical, strategy, and programmatic issues.
- Coordinate with the finance and logistics team in the procurement, distribution, and stock inventory of medical supplies
- Contribute to a monthly budget forecast, participate in a monthly Budget Versus Actual meeting and ensure that payment vouchers or invoices are documented for accuracy in compliance with Americares standards.
- Coordinate with the finance team payments to vendors, reconcile and liquidate activity advances, and carry out all other logistical tasks, including regular delivery of materials and supplies, to ensure smooth implementation of activities.
- Work with the Fistula project team and Tanzania Program Manager to conduct regular learning reviews, identify gaps and linkages to RMNCAH programs and ensure this information feeds into the development of new RMNCAH projects.
- Prepare weekly updates, program reports and presentations for review meetings and write success stories.
- Support Americares in identifying and pursuing RMNCAH programmatic opportunities in Mwanza and other regions.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Advanced clinical degree such as Doctor of Medicine (MD),Bachelor of Medicine-Bachelor of Surgery(MBBS), Master of Medicine (MMed) in Obstetrics and /Gynaecology(OB/GYN), Nursing, and/or Master of Public Health.
- At least 5+ years’ experience in maternal and sexual and reproductive health; 2+ years of experience working on fistula screening, repair, and referrals and safe obstetric surgery
- At least 2+ years of progressive experience in mental health and/or psychosocial support
- Experience in Quality Improvement (QI), Quality Assurance (QA), and supportive supervision to improve clinical service delivery at region/district/facility level
- Demonstrated experience in facilitating RMNCAH trainings
- Strong skills in data collection, monitoring and evaluation, analysis, and report writing
- Unrestricted authorization to work in Tanzania
- Prior exposure to programming in MHPSS and gender-based violence screening
- Strong skills in program budgets and financial management
- Strong knowledge and experience in sexual and reproductive health, including long-acting reversible methods, strongly preferred
- Strong organizational skills, capacity to think strategically and attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain productive working relationships with a wide network of partners and stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience in advocacy for maternal and reproductive health issues at national level is a plus
- Able to operate independently and as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong communications skills; ability to develop partnerships across sectors and cultures
- Excellent English-language speaking and writing skills
- Proficiency in Office 365 including Word, Excel, Teams, PowerPoint and SharePoint.
- awareness and sensitivity
- Willingness to travel outside duty station for more than 15%
CORE AMERICARES RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Foster Americares values of collaborative, accountable, responsive, and effective.
- Coach, support and develop staff to increase individual and team effectiveness; and
- Develop and manage implementation of plans to increase team operating performance.
HOW TO APPLY:
In order to be considered for this position, the applicant should submit the following items in an expression of interest to Americares:
- Curriculum vitae or resume that clearly spells out qualifications, experience, and 3 references.
- Cover letter highlighting interest in the position and relevant skills
- Academic credentials
Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
- As a global health organization, we are committed to ensuring a safe environment for our staff, partners, and visitors. All Americares staff and visitors who are on-site at any of our locations or will be traveling for work are required to be fully vaccinated (which includes a booster, when eligible) against COVID-19 unless an exemption required by law is applicable.
- Americares is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.