The Mission of WHO is the attainment by all people of the highest possible level of health
Date of Issuance: 11 February 2019
Position title: Communication and Media Officer
Grade level: NOB
Type of contract: SSA
Duration of contract: Six to twelve months
Duty station: Dar-es-Salaam
Closing date: 1st March 2019
The mission of the WHO Country Programme in Tanzania is to promote the attainment of the highest sustainable level of health by all people living in the country, through collaboration with the Government and other partners in health development and the provision of technical and logistic support to country programmes.
The Country Office plays a critical advisory role with respect to the development of health policies and strategies, technical guidelines and mechanisms to implement norms and standards. It provides technical policy advice, contributes to sustainable capacity building, strengthens management capacity and provides health leadership by coordinating efforts at the national, regional and district levels. The purpose of this assignment is to provide media and communications support to the activities of the WHO Tanzania Country Office. During the assignment, the officer will have the opportunity to support in the production of communications deliverables, national advocacy campaigns and event management.
Under the supervision of the WHO Representative, the officer will work in close ajira collaboration with the Health Promotion Focal Point in the following tasks:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide support and lead (where needed) in developing high quality communications content for external and internal use
- Work with programme teams to ensure that the communications activities calendar is kept up to date and is applied for weekly planning
- Ensure development of high quality content and dissemination of internal and external monthly newsletters
- Develop subject specific content for external use as and when required.
- Provide editorial support to web-content development.
- Support programmes in identifying and developing effective messages, framing and means for delivering them to reach communication objectives.
- To support implementation of media strategies, tactics and messages to promote health programmes
- To build and maintain excellent relationships with relevant journalists and broadcasters
- To pitch stories to journalists and organizing press briefings, as directed.
- To offer expert advice on reputational and other media risks arising from programmatic, policy and campaigns issues
- Develop a media outreach plan to identify and build relations with a network of traditional and specialized media
- Build internal capacity to work with media effectively
- Actively create media visibility opportunities for WHO, preparing talking points, and facilitating radio, TV and print media interviews where necessary
- To monitor and evaluate media coverage
- Work with the Communications team to develop and implement WHO’s Social Media Strategy
- Support health targeted social media campaigns for WHO
- Assist with drafting a range of visual materials for online use
- Build relationships with social media editors at leading news and media organizations
- Portfolio of communications/visual content produced for external and internal use
- A media outreach plan for the WHO Country Office with a database of traditional and specialized media
- Technical reports of capacity building activities conducted for programmes
- Regular reports of WHO media coverage
- Portfolio of visual materials produced for online use/ social media campaigns
Educational background and experience:-
University Degree in communication, media, journalism and other related discipline from a recognized University
- At least 1 to 2 years working in communications or journalism/media.
- Prior experience of working with main social media applications
- Previous experience working in a multi-cultural team
- Working experience with multiple partners including Ministry of Health, UN or a reputable
- international NGO will be an added advantage
Other Skills (e.g. IT): Excellent knowledge and skill in photography LANGUAGES
Fluency in English and Kiswahili is mandatory.
- Producing results
- Communicating in a credible and effective way
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
Functional Skills and Knowledge
- Ability to work under pressure to make decision, to elaborate strategies and organize priorities
- Ability to coordinate activities and undertake multitasks
- Strong analytical skills and good judgment.
- Sense of prioritization and attention to detail.
- Ability to liaise with people at all levels and to proactively search for information.
- Self-motivated, flexible and able to innovate.
- Professional commitment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to negotiate with and convince officials with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to write in a clear and concise manner, and to present factual information
- Ability to work in stressful context and under tight deadline
- Ability to work in an international and multi-cultural environment
The interested candidates should address an application comprising of a detailed Curriculum Vitae, copies of certificates/diplomas/degrees and testimonials to:
The WHO Representative
1 Albert Luthuli Street, Ocean Road
P 0 Box 9292
Dar es Salaam
N.B. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
WHO HAS A SMOKE FREE ENVIRONMENT!!!!
More Jobs From This Company