The International Health Division is committed to the improvement of health and healthcare delivery around the world. Serving both the public and private sectors, our efforts include health policy research and evaluation, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. Our impact is felt in policies that ensure healthcare access for women, children, and individuals with special needs, in strengthening health infrastructures, and HIV/AIDS solutions.
The Team Leader provides leadership, management, and strategic direction for the provision of technical services to DFID Tanzania. This position is responsible for guiding the team, for assuring that services are responsive to the stated priorities of DFID Tanzania and of excellent quality, and for achieving maximum value for money. The Team Leader will report to the home office-based Portfolio Manager, and will exercise authority within the technical services team for technical, management, resource allocation and personnel decisions. S/he will play a significant technical role in monitoring, evaluation and research in relation to DFID’s overall investment. The Team Leader will serve as Abt Associates’ main liaison with DFID Tanzania and Government of Tanzania counterparts and be accountable for the successful management and delivery of the project objectives.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Leadership and Management
• Provide leadership and managerial oversight for provision of technical ajira assistance services to DFID and the Government of Tanzania, assuring that Abt and consortium member experts deliver technical assistance and products of the highest possible quality.
• Lead planning and monitoring of activities such that all agreed on milestones are met, required technical and financial reporting is completed and value for money is delivered.
• Manage the performance of long-term and short term technical service providers, setting clear expectations, monitoring performance, taking corrective measures when required and promoting excellent standards of performance.
• Build and directly manage relationship with DFID ensuring responsiveness and flexibility.
• Build and maintain productive working relationships with key Government of Tanzania counterparts.
• Represent the project team to other members of the international donor community, the Government of Tanzania, other health development partners, and key public and private stakeholders.
• Oversee and manage subcontractor technical staff and inputs, ensuring adherence to approved scopes of work and budgets.
• Oversee development of activity budgets and monitoring of expenditure, to ensure that budgets and value for money strategy are adhered to.
• Lead activity risk management and mitigation strategy, liaising with Abt’s Office of Global Security as required.
• Oversee design and implementation of monitoring and evaluation activities to measure the results of DFID’s overall investment in public financial management.
• Lead the conceptualization and implementation of operations research and pilot interventions, to promote innovation and help Tanzania’s President’s Office-Regional Administration and Local Government (PO-RALG) make better use of evidence in policy and planning.
• Oversee development and finalization of reports and papers for publication.
• Present research results to DFID, the Government of Tanzania and other key stakeholders.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
• Master’s Degree or higher in Governance, Public Health, Sociology/Social Science Research or other relevant field.
• Significant (15 years+), senior-level experience designing, implementing, and managing or evaluating complex governance programmes with an emphasis on local government systems.
• Previous DFID project experience highly desirable.
• Demonstrated technical depth in at least one of the following areas preferred: public financial management, operations research programme monitoring and/or evaluation of complex programmers in Tanzania or similar country settings.
• Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills in English required.
• Outstanding professional reputation in Tanzania and excellent communication skills desirable.
• Experience building and maintaining partnerships with other projects, local organizations, host country governments and international agencies.
• Knowledge of the Tanzania, the donor landscape for governance in Tanzania and the strengths and weaknesses of the local government service delivery system is highly desired.
Tanzanian Nationals strongly encouraged to apply. This position is contingent on project award.
• (10+) years of experience and a bachelor degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
More Jobs From This Company