MEDICAL OFFICER (1)Medical Teams International Tanzania
Reports to Direct: Medical Coordinator Technical: NA
Work Days & Hours Monday-Sunday, 40-45 hours/week as per duty roster. May include weekends, night shifts and public holidays
Supervises Direct: Nurse Midwife Technical: Clinical Officer
Daring to love like Jesus, we boldly break barriers to health and restore wholeness in a hurting world.
Responsible for performing consultations in OPD and IPD units in line with MoH protocol and clinical guidelines to diagnose, treat and manage patients. Performs surgery within competency and controls the rational distribution of medicine to improve patients` health conditions.
- Perform OPD/IPD ward rounds to assess patient condition, diagnose and prescribe treatment and/or refer complicated cases in line with clinical guidelines and hygiene protocols.
- Determine when IPD patients should be discharged or transferred, ensuring referrals are managed efficiently to minimize complications.
- Control the rational distribution of medicine and equipment; ensure sterilization and good maintenance of medical equipment.
- Keep the patient and family informed about the illness and provide appropriate explanations about the treatment to follow; verify understanding to ensure informed consent and adherence to treatment.
- Ensure data traceability by recording all medical activities on patient’s card and in registration books such that patient treatment is continuous.
- Assist with and perform surgical interventions and clinical procedures within competency.
- Attend to emergency cases in the health facility.
- Participate in the recruitment of medical staff.
- Ensure general hygiene standards and universal precautions are followed at all times and implement and monitor actions to reduce bio-hazard risks and improve infection control.
- Ensure ongoing training of the medical/paramedical multidisciplinary team in order to optimize the quality of care.
- Participate in the collection and analysis of epidemiological data, checking its validity and informing the Medical Coordinator about any problem or complication of the patient’s illness, including medical error.
- Ensure that medical practices are conducted with the highest level of integrity and ethics according to professional and MTI Codes of Conduct.
- Ensure direct reports have clear objectives, receive mentorship and participate in capacity building opportunities.
- Conduct performance evaluations and enforce disciplinary process as per MTI policy.
- Ensure data collected is accurate and submit reports according to schedule.
- Ensure the Safeguarding of program participants and employees through promoting an environment of awareness and upholding the code of conduct provisions of Medical Teams Protection from Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, Child & Vulnerable Adult protection, and harassment-free workplace policies.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, LICENSES, & CERTIFICATIONS
- Doctor of Medicine (MD)
- Must have completed one-year internship.
- Registered with Tanganyika Medical
- Valid practising license is required.
- 3 years of work experience in a hospital practice relating to primary health care, maternal and child health, reproductive health, HIV/AIDS and communicable diseases is required.
- Experience working with international NGOs is an added advantage.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of primary health care, maternal and child health, reproductive health, HIV and AIDS and communicable diseases, surgery, paediatrics, obstetrics and gynaecology
- Knowledge of professional clinical medicine principles, procedures and techniques
- Knowledge of ajira surgery methods and best practices
- Knowledge of medicines, hygiene management and IPC protocol
- Skilled in applying clinical medicine principles and procedures in the evaluation and treatment of patients.
- Skilled in performing surgery within competency.
- Skilled in prescribing correct medication.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- A good command of both written and spoken English.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of patient information and adhere to professional code of conduct.
- Ability to treat all patients and staff with respect, without prejudice.
- Ability to provide high quality, ethical, compassionate care that places the needs of the patient first.
- Ability to maintain detailed records with high accuracy.
- Ability to be flexible and manage stress.
- Ability to support MTI Calling and adhere to the MTI Code of Conduct
This position requires work at health facilities located in refugee camps which are remote areas with very basic living conditions.
NOTE: The above job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by staff assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of staff in this position. Duties, responsibilities, and skills are also subject to change based on the changing needs of the job, department, or organization.
More Jobs From This Company
- All interested applicants who meet the criteria should email their application letter and CV in either PDF or Word only, including three work related referee to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Indicate your expected salary, current/previous salary, and notice period at the bottom of your CV.
- Indicate clearly the position applied for in the subject line” Medical Officer”.
- Application Deadline: 4th of February 2021 at 1700HRS.